On Thursday 04 Dec 2003 2:11 pm, Tango Echo wrote:
> --- "Ronald J. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 December 2003 08:25 am, Tango Echo
> >
> > wrote:
> > >TE  Hi all,
> > >TE
> > >TE  I have Mandrake 9.1 installed (w/latest Texstar
> >
> > KDE).
> >
> > >TE  When I input a search string and hit search
> >
> > Kfind
> >
> > >TE  hangs.  When other windows are dragged in front
> >
> > of it,
> >
> > >TE  then removed, the Kfind window becomes
> >
> > distorted...
> >
> > >TE  Is there a fix for this or can you recommend a
> >
> > better
> >
> > >TE  search tool?
> > >TE
> > >TE  Thanks!
> > >TE
> > >TE  Tango Echo
> >
> > How 'bout just using "find", "whereis", or "locate"
> > from a shell?
> >
> > Works awful good here. :-)
> >
> > --
>
> Thanks Ronald, but I am looking for a GUI solution.
> Yes, I can always su, updatedb, then slocate - and it
> does work good!  However, I am shocked to see only one
> gui based file search program installed in MDK 9.1,
> not to mention it doesn't even work... Any more ideas?

Yes I have two
klocate and kio_locate
You will need to compile klocate yourself, but kio_locate is available in
contrib.

kio_locate allows you to search by typing
locate:/string
in the url line of konqueror.
It uses slocate as its backend which means that it will only find files that
have been indexed in the slocate database. The job to do the indexing runs at
4am each morning, so if you switch your computer off at night you will need
to install anacron to run the job for you in the morning. I have a write up
here
http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7

After you install slocate and kio_locate packages run updatedb as root to
initialise the database for the first time.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net