On Saturday 06 Dec 2003 6:10 pm, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi Y'all,
>
> Finally plucked up the courage to install 9.2 this afternoon, and
> already I'm regretting it. The sound is next to useless being extremely
> quiet, poor quality and almost drowned out by hiss. I've checked the
> mixer settings and it is set to full volume and not muted.
>
> My sound card is CM8738 PCI card using the driver module snd-cmipci.
> (Using the cmipci module doesn't help)
>
> I hope you kind and knowledgeable people can point me in the direction
> of a solution, otherwise it's back to 9.0 for me.

Two solutions
1/ Mandrake Control Centre>Hardware>Harddrake
select your sound card and press the button to select the alternate driver.
This will install the oss driver which has fewer features than the alsa
driver but may sound better than what you have now.

2/ Tune your alsa driver correctly Install the alsa-utils RPM and then make a
backup copy of your /etc/modules.conf file. Then run alsaconf in a root
terminal.
Alsaconf will write the correct configuration for your card into
/etc/modules.conf  but will not copy over the lines which are not sound
related from your old config.  You must do that yourself afterwards.

Alsaconf IMO does a much better job of setting up alsa drivers than Mandrake
does.

HTH

derek
--