On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 16:19, Scott Naylor wrote:
> I know I can use Samba to have my VMWin98 communicate with my installed Win98.
> The problem is I have no idea how to set up Samba so this works! Can someone
> please give me some help?
>
> PS. Sound is all buggy in VMWare. Anyway to fix this?

It looks like you have this setup:

A dual-boot with Win98 and Linux
A VMware installation of Win98 *inside of Linux*

You can network between the VMware Guest OS Win98 and Linux if you (1)
accepted the defaults at installation and (2) have samba properly set up
in Linux with a public share.

Since the dual-boot, i.e. raw, installed on a *real* hard disk
partition version of Win98 isn't running, I don't see how you can
communicate with it with the VMware version.  *This OS is not running!*
If you want to share data, move the raw Win98 data into the samba
public share, or make its data area public with samba (bad idea).

Why are you running crap like Win98 anyway?  If you *have* to run
Windows, Win2K or WinXP will be *much* more stable with VMware.

The default smb.conf that comes with any recent Mandrake needs to be
edited only to define the machine workgroup and netbios names and to
uncomment the stuff about public shares (you obviously have to supply
the fully qualified path to it).  It works right out of the box.  Edit
smb.conf, stop the daemons with "samba stop", run testparm to see if
you've made any terrible errors, "samba start" and you're good to go.
If you're running Shorewall, open 137-139/tcp and /udp.  The easy way
to do this is with the Control Center | Firewall | Advanced.

As always with samba, it's easier if you have identical usernames and
passwords on both the Win and Linux sides.

My sound (AC'97 on an Epox board) didn't need any configuration at all
in VMware (other than to get rid of the Microsoft Sound at boot-up).

--
N. B. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Physics Department, University of New Orleans