On Wednesday 10 December 2003 4:00 pm, N. B. Day wrote:
> It looks like you have this setup:
>
> A dual-boot with Win98 and Linux
> A VMware installation of Win98 *inside of Linux*
>
> You can network between the VMware Guest OS Win98 and Linux if you (1)
> accepted the defaults at installation and (2) have samba properly set up
> in Linux with a public share.
>
> Since the dual-boot, i.e. raw, installed on a *real* hard disk
> partition version of Win98 isn't running, I don't see how you can
> communicate with it with the VMware version.  *This OS is not running!*
> If you want to share data, move the raw Win98 data into the samba
> public share, or make its data area public with samba (bad idea).
>
> Why are you running crap like Win98 anyway?  If you *have* to run
> Windows, Win2K or WinXP will be *much* more stable with VMware.
>
> The default smb.conf that comes with any recent Mandrake needs to be
> edited only to define the machine workgroup and netbios names and to
> uncomment the stuff about public shares (you obviously have to supply
> the fully qualified path to it).  It works right out of the box.  Edit
> smb.conf, stop the daemons with "samba stop", run testparm to see if
> you've made any terrible errors, "samba start" and you're good to go.
> If you're running Shorewall, open 137-139/tcp and /udp.  The easy way
> to do this is with the Control Center | Firewall | Advanced.
>
> As always with samba, it's easier if you have identical usernames and
> passwords on both the Win and Linux sides.
>
> My sound (AC'97 on an Epox board) didn't need any configuration at all
> in VMware (other than to get rid of the Microsoft Sound at boot-up).

I'm having a problem. I configured the smb.conf properly ... I think, and I
can't get it working properly in Win98. I tried running the Direct Cable
Access Network Communicator and got R-and-E viewing in Network Neighbourhood.
When I click on it it asks for a password, but I didn't set any password up
at all. I tried some of my system passwords but no luck. What on earth is
going on?