On Wednesday 10 Dec 2003 10:42 pm, Eric Geater 11/26/03 wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I have Mandrake 9.2.  It's up and running, works very well, relatively
> few problems.  However, I have been instructed to use Linuxconf to
> configure my external modem for dialing out.  I type it in as root, but
> "no package named linuxconf" appears.  I then do "urpmi -y linuxconf",
> but it also declares it an unknown package.  I just got through with
> 139mb of updates from mirror.secsup.org and did my updatedb, but STILL
> no knowledge about linuxconf.  And everything I read on Google says it
> should already be part of a working package in Linux.
>
> Care to enlighten a newbie?  I really need to know if linuxconf is
> necessary for working on a modem, or whatever else I'd ever need it for,
> and also how to get it if I can't RPM it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

linuxconf is in the contrib folder of any  mandrake mirror.
The reason it is hidden away in contrib is because it is not recommended for
use in Mandrake anymore. It is a RedHat tool. The reason why it is not
recommended was discussed recently (on the expert list I think) check the
archives for details.

If you want to configure your external modem just run the wizard in Mandrake
control Centre>Networking
and then to dial run kppp  (assuming you have kdenetwork-kppp installed)

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net