Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 08:11, Robin Turner wrote:

Does anyone know if the kernel shipped with 9.2 contains drivers for Audigy 2 / Platinum soundcards, or will I have to compile my own kernel module if I get one of these?

Sir Robin

You don't have to compile anything.  Go to www.opensound.com and
download the latest opensound package; it supports a wide range of
soundcards including the Audigy.  Plus you get a load of features that
are really useful to have, as well as getting a working soundcard.

Latest version of the drivers is below, I just downloaded the latest
package for kicks:

ftp://www.se.opensound.com/pub/oss/linux/oss398b-linux-v2x.tar.gz

Size: 3.9 MB (3,986,607 bytes)
Transferred: 3.9 MB (3,986,607 bytes)

I use the opensound drivers not only for compatibility/consistency
across whatever distribution version I happen to be running, (and more
importantly whatever hardware) but also for testing, as there is a
simple performance test facility in the package that allows you to check
the functionality of any of the supported soundcards under Linux. The
package above includes all of the wide range of soundcard drivers that
are supported by opensound.com This allowed me to weed out a bunch of
defective cards from some good cards one time. The cost for a full
license is something like 25 bucks; and you get (author level) support
for a very long time. By buying a license you support future soundcard
support. Vanilla kernel soundcard support tends to be very problematic
and I just haven't been able to rely on it as much of my hobby work
involves archiving network broadcasts. It just hasn't worked for me. Opensound.com has the highest quality soundcard drivers available today
for the Linux world, I highly recommend them. They are well worth the
cost.

Thanks (and thanks to Charlie) - I reckon I'll go for the Audigy 2, then. I was originally going to get a Turtle Beach card, but they seem impossible to get hold of in Turkey. The Audigy 2 is the only musician-friendly soundcard they have here - MIDI, jack and firewire sockets.

Sir Robin

--
"Certitude is possible for those who only own one encyclopedia."
- Robert Anton Wilson

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi