On Sunday 14 Dec 2003 5:37 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
>  Even at it's basic configuration, Shorewall is much better
> than a hardware router.

Would you elaborate on that Lyvim? My limited experience is the opposite.
My router has stateful iptables (or ipchains?) and is pretty much as
configurable as a Linux setup, with the added advantage that hostile traffic
never gets to a full OS, where it may do more harm. Many of them also support
UPnP, so windows users can use IM video if they must.

> Hardware routers are generally for Mac users or non-tech types.  That's
> fine, but if you are looking for knowledge, a router appliance is not
> going to get you there; in fact I recommend against it.

Even if one is looking for knowledge, there is plenty of stuff to learn in
Linux without having to learn a safe level of capability with iptables. This
is one area in which a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing. A
dedicated router simplifies the iptables setup with connection sharing,
because the router can do the filtering and there is no extra work to share
the connection - all machines are equal. Whereas using the Linux box
complicates the iptables configuration.

IMO, the best configuration has two rules: everything out, nothing in. (Most
of the hostile outgoing traffic is going to be SMTP or HTTP anyway.) Adding
connection sharing to these rules makes them a lot more complex, and every
rule added has a chance of being wrong.

--
Richard Urwin