On Sunday 14 December 2003 11:14 pm, JoeHill wrote:

> Actually, no one recommended an "appliance". I recommended that the OP
> invest about 50 - 100 bucks in a used machine, and for sheer ease of use
> and features, you simply cannot beat something like Smoothwall. Built in
> features such as Snort IDS, VPN, Web Proxy, dynamic DNS, *and* it supports
> forwarding by range, not just by port. All this by simply booting from a
> CD.

One correction.  I, in fact recommended a router/firewall appliance.  I made
that recommendation based on the poster's situation having a single primary
machine and currently using MS OS and Kerio or some other type of personal
firewall software on the primary target machine.  Based upon that situation,
I stand by my original recommendation that the easiest/cheapest method to
implement security is through a router/firewall appliance.

To answer Lyvim's original point, either a Linksys, Dlink, or Netgear
appliance will all allow opening up ranges of ports rather than just single
ports.  I know this positively because my ftp server is setup to allow
passive transfers on a range of ports (thanks Anne).

Since I was who Lyvim was posting the answer too, some of that venom should
have been directed to me.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer