On Monday 15 Dec 2003 9:48 am, Johan wrote:
> Hi,
> I have seen some traffic about firewalls on the list...made me worry.
> This is a standalone box. Using mdk 9.2 with personal firewall activated
> via MCC.
>  Is it working?... I do not know.
> The system was updated 14/12/03.
> The last screen is marked...
> FTP...probably for downloads and surfing?
> Mailserver...for mail?
> Cups..printing directly from net?
> The rest unmarked.
> Now which firewall is used?
> Is it sufficient?
> My ISP is *supposed to have a firewall & mailscanner* but I had some
> virussus come through on my Win OS. (Protected ???... by Pccillin2003)
> Mdk..I just do not now.
> Ok maybe I should learn it...what/where...but by the time I understand
> this I might have been compromised.
> Please some pointers and direct answers to some questions above would be
> much appreciated.

You can test your firewall here
http://scan.sygatetech.com/

The default firewall in Mandrake is shorewall which is very effective. Some
list members do not like it because the GUI provided on Mandrake Control
Centre is very simplistic.
If your GUI is showing as you describe then you have ports 21, 25 and 631
open.
Unless you want people on the Internet to access your FTP server, to send
emails direct to your mail server, or print to your printers, then you should
close those ports.

There is a better GUI for controlling shorewall in webmin. If you have not
tried webmin yet install the webmin RPM and then go to
https://localhost:10000  (NOTE https not http )

Personally however I prefer to setup webmin by hand by editing the files in
/etc/shorewall which are all extensively documented.
www.shorewall.net also has lots of great documentation.

A firewall of course will not protect against viruses, but of course running
Linux you are not vulnerable to viruses anyway.
If however you are running a mail server you may want to scan incoming mails
for viruses before passing them on to Windows computers.
Personally I use clamdmail ( in contrib) which I call from procmail. Clamdmail
is a neat little utility which will call clamav virus scanner, and
spamassassin spam checker.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net