for a couple of versions, and with other distros tooo every time I install a new mandrake I then start chromium or tuxracer in a hope that someday the system will have 3d acceleration installed out of the box. In never worked ... with no nvidia cards I ever tried .. nor with an older ati ... but chromium worked with acceleation on a matrox g200 ... wow. The stuff of dreams of future. I just can't understand why a couple of Mb can't be spared to put a set of nvidia (& ati as it's becoming more spread) on the mandrake cds. I assume it's licenses .. but it's quite annoying for the user. And to top that the installation is still somethng a beginner can't really be expected to do:
-you've got to run a shell binary from Nvidia ... which requires no X ... so how on earth do you do that as a beginner? I knew that I could go to mcc and have "reboot without x starting" and did it there .. but that's not quite obvious to the beginner ... and then knowing about "startx"
-to top things I got pretty shocked when I saw that the 9.2 download cds didn't include the kernel source .. so when you installed the nvidia drivers and it asked for the kernel source ... well ... I was at a friends house who didn't reallly have internet .. sooo ... it stunk.

well .. these are my feelings right now. Waiting and dreaming for a beginner friendly (and gamer friendly) Mandrake.