David Little wrote:

try,[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# sane-find-scanner -v

searching for USB scanners: checking /dev/usb/scanner... failed to open (Invalid argument) checking /dev/usb/scanner0... open ok, vendor and product ids were identified found USB scanner (vendor=0x1606, product=0x0030) at /dev/usb/scanner0

If this is your system report and not mine, then it has found your scanner and
it is situated on /dev/usb/scanner0, good . So you have a device and it's connected.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x1606, product=0x0030) at libusb:002:002 # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be sup # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

sounds to me as though it doesn't think you have a driver for this scanner.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] david]# scanimage -L

sane-find-scanner appears to recognise the scanner properly?

This seems to imply it doesn't recognise your make of scanner
So what is your make and modelof scanner ?

Has your scanner ever worked in linux ?
If not then,

I think I would go look on the sane website first and see what it says about
your make and model.

Then there is a sane help available here,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]       to join
or,
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel

[EMAIL PROTECTED] for help

[EMAIL PROTECTED] for the list administrator

To sum up if seems to of found a scanner on your system, but it doesn't seem to
think it has a driver , or it has a wrongly set up driver maybe. Don't rule that out
yet. scanner drake doesn't have a complete list of scanner makes and models
and it may just be setting things up wrong. Once we know what your scanner
make and model is you can alter the settings, as there are text based files to reset
the settings even if scanner drake doesn't do it right. At the moment I don't know
what make or model you have, but it would help if you went and assertained what
sane believes your scanners is suported or not.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]