Derek;

I agree with you about the video cards, and installing the
drivers for either the chipsets or video cards is certainly
a requirement for proper operation. No Question there! It's
just that I belong to a lot of groups which are
hardware-related and the general concensus is to avoid
nForce chipsets. Granted, most of the problems are
Microsoft related, but since a lot of members are
dual-booting their systems it becomes a relevant point.

Lanman

On 12/17/2003 at 4:37 PM Derek Jennings wrote:

>On Wednesday 17 Dec 2003 3:28 pm, Shawn Protsman wrote:
>> Why would the N-Force boards be a problem?  The Nvidia
video cards can
>> be an issue but I've not heard of any issues (to my
limited knowledge)
>> with the N-Force mobos.  In fact, I'm thinking of
picking one up with a

Jennings wrote:
>> > I would suggest avoiding Nvidia N-Force based mobos
because you then
>> > become
>> > tied to Nvidia continuing to supply their closed
source driver, and I
>> > would
>> > suggest you choose a mobo with a good BIOS that allows
flexible
>> > configuration
>> > of IRQ lines etc. In my limited experience Award seems
to be better
>> > than
>> > Pheonix in this regard.
>> >
>> > Apart from that just about anything will work.
>> >  My Abit KD7 Via KT400 based mobo works great.
>
>The N-Force boards work well enough AFAIK, but you need to
install a
>driver
>for the motherboard
>(http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html
>) That driver is closed source, and
>while it is likely Nvidia will continue to supply it,
there is no
>guarantee
>they will. (Like if Microsoft bought Nvidia)
>
>Like many other people I own an Nvidia graphics card, and
use the closed
>source Nvidia drivers. But if I was making a new purchase
decision I would