Shawn; There's been a lot of problems with the nForce
chipsets - both in Windows and Linux. The
new nForce3 chipsets have also been causing problems. Since
it seems to be a random problem
which happens with various models and brands of
motherboards, a lot of people are staying away
from boards equipped with nForce chipsets altogether.

Some of the issues are driver related while others are due
to the design of the boards, while others
are just defective. This is not a problem that exists on
every single board using this chipset, but the
logic would seem to be that since it's a very random
problem, why take a chance?

There have been good results with Intel, Via and Sis
chipsets though. I'm sure that there are some
people who've had problems with all the different brands of
chipsets, but for the most part, these
3 brands seem to be pretty stable.

For example, I've been avoiding SiS chipsets for the last 3
or 4 years, but the latest ones on Asus
boards have been "BulletProof" for me. Go Figure!

That's the 411 for ya.

Lanman

On 12/17/2003 at 9:28 AM Shawn Protsman wrote:

>Why would the N-Force boards be a problem?  The Nvidia
video cards can
>be an issue but I've not heard of any issues (to my
limited knowledge)
>with the N-Force mobos.  In fact, I'm thinking of picking
one up with a

Jennings wrote:

>> I would suggest avoiding Nvidia N-Force based mobos
because you then
>> become
>> tied to Nvidia continuing to supply their closed source
driver, and I
>> would
>> suggest you choose a mobo with a good BIOS that allows
flexible
>> configuration
>> of IRQ lines etc. In my limited experience Award seems
to be better