--- Lanman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> TE; The Asus P4S800 is very nice for Linux. Been
> running
> three without problems. Don't know which
> CPU you have but this takes P4's. Also handles
> Hyper-Threading with the new P4's, so that Linux
> sees
> one P4 as two P4's. Works very well like that too!
>
> Lanman

> On 12/17/2003 at 6:16 AM Tango Echo wrote:
>
> >Well, I think my motherboard decided to just
> randomly
> >die the other night.  Worked fine the night before,
> >but in the morning didn't respond to the power
> switch.
> > I checked the power cables and swapped the power
> >supply for a known good one - still nothing.  So
> that
> >would be mobo then, I guess...
> >
> >What do you guys recommend for a motherboards that
> >would work great with Mandrake?  I was running 9.1
> but
> >am considering 9.2 (if you guys can recommend it
> now).
> > The ideal mobo would have an 8x AGP slot w/on
> board
> >temperature detection.  On board video, sound and
> net
> >are not neccessary as I have these already.
> Hopefully
> >they still work!  Cost is an issue too,
> unfortunately,
> >as the budge is somewhat limited.  Heh, they
> probably
> >dont' make mobos w/lifetime warranties do they?
> Well
> >any and all advice from you all I greatly
> anticipate!
> >
> >Tango

Thanks for the advice Lanman and Derek =)

I'm not 100% sure it is the mobo as I still have to
check the outlet, cable, and switch.  But I need to be
ready if it is!

I've always heard good things about Asus.  Time to
shell out the $70+ and pick one up...  I agree that I
would like a flexible BIOS for a couple reasons: a) in
case I get in a tweaky mood b) special options like
internal temperature are extremely valuable.  My
old/current chip set is SiS. MDK 9.0 ran on it
horribly, but 9.1 ran like a dream.  As for the
current CPU it's an AMD Athlon XP 1600.  I'd like to
stick with AMD if possible...  Silly question, but
Pentium or Intel chip sets still support AMD
processors right??  Sure hope so... Thanks for
pointing out the closed source issue w/Nvidia, Derek.
Yes, I have and love my GeForce FX 5600 video card,
but that is a must have!

Tango