John Richard Smith wrote:

mike wrote:

John Richard Smith wrote:

OK, I've got a B/W boot script back,

It seems to work this way,

When  boosplash packages are installed, which happened in my
case when I reinstalled deleted kernel from CD1

To get a text based boot script ,

Edit /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash
set SPLASH=no

Edit /etc/lilo.conf
add to append= splash=quiet

Now I know how to do it the right way instead of uninstalling the package. Thanks :-)

but I'm not sure if by removing the bootslash packages
one cound also achieve the same result without having
to edit the above ?
since I didn't have to before I reinstalled the kernel.

Well I should say I'm running mdk 9.1. I had the blue splash like monitor
on boot up and shutdown.
When I did a "rpm -e --nodeps bootsplash"
and rebooted no more blue splash.

Well, I wonder why the difference.
See, in using mkinitrd command, I think one is really remaking the boot image file from /boot/vmlinuz, and it is the initrd image file that is used at boot time to tell system what to do and what to load.

So , when I replaced my deleted vmlinuz file from CD1, it did so, and I bet overwrote the initrd image file as well, and at the same time gave me the blue gui boot script.

Now, by removing bootsplash packages, I'm guessing it removes it from vmlinuz but not the initrd image file , so you still get the blue gui boot script.

But , if this logic is correct , running mkinitrd command after removing the bootsplash packages, ought to remake the initrd image file without the blue gui .

I still have a /usr/share/bootsplash directory
but its empty except for a /themes directory which is also empty.
Also I have no /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash file
my /etc/lilo.conf file has no entry it like append= splash=quiet.
I would guess that when it looks for a splash or a theme it does not find
one, so it doesn't use one and continues on with the process.

On another note John, did you get the text resolution you wanted on boot up?

Sure, never went below vga=791 ever, not interested in any lower screen resolution on standard boot up. It's a different matter on failsafe and nonFB bootups, as you may have a screen resolution , or video driver setting issue to overcome in order to get to desktop, and as such I always choose vga=ask for these type of boot script.

Are you having problems then ?

No, I'm good, think I got lost a couple times along the way but I arrived at
the correct destination :-)

Mike