On Sunday 21 Dec 2003 10:25 pm, John Schofield wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> HarM: Yes, it's cabled as master.  I always welcome idiot-checks.
> {smile}
>
> derek:  It's ide-scsi.  Which I don't really understand, since it's a
> standard ATA CD-ROM, but I commented-out the line anyway, which didn't
> make a difference after reboot.  Symptoms unchanged.  I'm afraid I
> don't understand what you mean when you say use /dev/hdd instead.  Do
> you mean I should remove the ide-scsi line I currently have commented
> out and replace it with a line pointing to /dev/hdc?  This doesn't seem
> correct, because the CD-ROM currently works perfectly.  (If it was
> plugged in and the line in /etc/fstab uncommented.)
>
> HarM:  Are you sure it would be /dev/hdc and not /dev/hdc1?  The HD is
> partitioned into several volumes.  (I have tried mounting /dev/hdc,
> /dev/hdc1, /dev/hdc2, etc. with no change.)  Plus DiskDrake still
> doesn't  show me any tab for /dev/hdc.
>
> Thanks very much for your help, folks!  Any other suggestions?
>

> Schof
snip

Yes the subject of ide-scsi is a bit confusing to a newbie. Your CD-ROM is of
course  IDE, but the Linux CD burning backend 'cdrecord' only works with SCSI
devices. So in order to be able to burn CDs with an IDE CD-RW the kernel
supports a 'scsi emulation' mode called ide-scsi.

Now you will say "this is a CD-ROM not a CD-RW".
If your CD-RW and CD-ROM are both ide-scsi then it is possible to do CD to CD
copying without having to copy the data to buffer first.
  So that is why Mandrake has configured your CD-ROM as ide-scsi.

If you look at /etc/lilo.conf you will see the definition for your boot sector
and you will see in the 'append' line hdc=ide-scsi

Rather than mess about with your lilo.conf file I was suggesting you connect
your hard drive to the IDE secondary slave interface instead. That way it
will be /dev/hdd and you should find that diskdrake will detect the drive and
allow you to configure it.

BTW: The new Linux 2.6 kernel dispenses with the concept of ide-scsi so we may
not see this sort of question for much longer.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net