Hi,
My *&^(&(%* Gaim has just decided to stop working AGAIN. This is extremely frustrating. I do nothing, I install nothing, it stops working. I f around (usually uninstalling and reinstalling various other versions) until I finally get it working again. Then a week later it stops working with the message:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] has been disconnected.
Mon Dec 22 31:21:06 2003
Error reading from server

and offers Reconnect or Close as options. This happened with 0.72, 0.73 and 0.74 from a variety of sources (norlug, Charles Edwards from this list, mdk plf).

I have also been having similar problems with networking, in the sense that I have to keep rerunning drakconnect to give the doze box my wife uses access to the net. It is set up and "configured" but for some reason after a few days of normal access it stops working by itself and I have to rerun the wizard every time. I had a missing dhcpd.conf and replaced it once, which seemed to get it working, but then more problems.

If anyone has any ideas on what little gremlins might be camped out in my box I would be very interested!

Very frustrating. Not that I'm considering going back to doze. I found it very amusing to discover that my WinModem has decided that it has been running so well under Linux that it will no longer run under XP! I had it set up and working, again, did nothing, and it just stopped working... Still working under mdk though!
cheers
Anton
ps and for those interested, took down my firewall under xp a while ago for about 30 seconds to try and get netmeeting working (just to see if the firewall had anything to do with it) and had two boggies - 30 seconds. gotta love M$.