On Thursday 25 December 2003 16:09, Paul wrote:
> On 12/25/2003 04:43 PM, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> >Well, I never do a general ./*
> >
> >I always make ls -l and then tell rm to remove - for example -
> >textfile*.txt.
> >
> >I once deleted the content of one whole directory, and since
> >then I never did this stupid * stuff ;-) .
>
> That is _the_ way to learn... My way was the same way, except it
> was my $HOME. With subdirs... *grin*
> That is also when my paranoia with backups paid off!
> Paul

Allow me to quote the legendary Civileme :

<quote>

rm -r /whateverdirectoryname/and/path -f
the -r is for recursive (i. e. descend into subdirectories) and the
-f is for force without asking, While

rm -rf /whateverdirectoryname/and/path

will work to the same effect, it is considered bad form.  Imagine
that you type this far

rm -rf /

and then the household cat launches for your desktop and plops a fat
paw on the enter key.  Your entire filesystem(s) are bye-bye, even
/mnt/windows_c if you happen to have one and it is writeable.

Aside from having the household cat for supper, there is no
compensation, and of course even less when you fat-finger the enter
key yourself.  Take it from someone who has committed that faux
pas.

Civileme

</quote>

Merry Christmas all !

Kaj Haulrich.
--
** Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer **