Christoph Eckert wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 25. Dezember 2003 16:37 schrieb robin:

typing something like "rm ./*"

Well, I never do a general ./*

I always make ls -l and then tell rm to remove - for example - textfile*.txt.

Actually I was thinking more of something like that - if I have a directory with a load of HTML files and JPGs and only want to get rid of the JPGs, then something like

rm -f *.jpg

is a blessing.

In the case I mentioned, my mistake of being in the wrong directory was compounded by the fact that the files I wanted to remove were all named something like ???efjh234, so I typed "rm -f ./?*", forgetting that "?" is also a regular expression! One of the most embarrassing moments of my computing life.

BTW, Civileme's implicit advice to put in the full path is very sound.

Sir Robin

--
"Certitude is possible for those who only own one encyclopedia."
- Robert Anton Wilson

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi