I've been spending a lot time trying to fix the character spacing problem with kde.

According to my M9.1
/usr/share/ghostscript/7.05/lib/Fontmap.GS
and,
/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript/Fontmap

have Helvetica mapped like this,

/Helvetica                                       /NimbusSanL-Regu       ;
/Helvetica-Oblique                        /NimbusSanL-ReguItal  ;
/Helvetica-Bold                             /NimbusSanL-Bold    ;
/Helvetica-BoldOblique                /NimbusSanL-BoldItal      ;

/Helvetica-Narrow                        /NimbusSanL-ReguCond   ;
/Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique         /NimbusSanL-ReguCondItal      ;
/Helvetica-Narrow-Bold              /NimbusSanL-BoldCond        ;
/Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique /NimbusSanL-BoldCondItal  ;

But , an old M8.1 OS of mine also had an identicle mapping.

So , to my mind that suggests nothing particularly wrong here with the font mapping.

I might add M8.1 's KDE using Helvetica font gets it's printing correct, printing to same model printer using Helvetica,
of printer, no problems at all with character spacing there.

As far as I can see at the moment the problem must be the different versions of ghostscript.
M9.1 uses Ghostscript 7.05, whereas M8.1 uses Ghostscript 6.51 , unless there is something
else that effects ghostscript performance, like additional libraries that I don't know about.

John

-- John Richard Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED]