Somebody scribbled about [newbie] editing Mpeg home video
>Hi
>
>About a year or so ago I asked about a program that would allow me
> to split mpeg home videos into smaller sections.

Luckily, a new version of cinelerra was just announced on the PLF
mailing list. You might try that - just add PLF as one of your urpmi
sources (in case you hadn't already) and urpmi cinelerra. It seems
that it can do the job, and much more. I've only lightly used it in
the past, but the new version looks very capable. However, it's a big
resource pig. I tried it on a 650 meg AVI earlier today and all I got
was a blank screen, and seemingly only 17 minutes loaded into the
thing. That may be due to a resource issue -- as it was successful
using a much smaller AVI (42 megs). My machine is a 1 ghz with 256
megs of RAM; I suspect underpowered for this sort of thing.

mencoder seems also capable of this but I have not tried it. For avi's
there is avisplit, but you're using mpegs. I haven't tried conversion
to avi, but that might be an option for you.