From: "Lanman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Enabling hyper threading.
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 06:41:10 -0500

On 12/29/2003 at 11:27 AM Steven Nelson wrote:

>Hi, based on the replies you all sent I have a couple
questions. I write
>them in order, based on the importance or being more
likely to be or fix
>the
>problem, 1- . One being the first concern. The questions
are listed in
>order
>of what needs to be done first, based on my judgement.
>
>1.(3 questions)
>I have read the information in your replies. The question
I have is, is
>there another way to enable hyper threading besides the
using the smp
>kernel
>or updating to 2.6 kernel? Generally there are commands to
enable features
>like hyper threading. Are you  sure there is not a command
or something
>like
>it? Also is there a command I can run from the command
line to make sure
>hyper threading is not enabled? I don't think it is, just
to be sure
>though
>(I didn't notice the penguins during installation).
>
>2.(no questions)
>I did not notice one or two penguins during the
installation. I also wrote
>this above, although if there are any commands it would be
helpful to be
>100% sure ht is enabled. I do not think it is.
>
>3.(3 questions)
>If there is not a way to get hyper threading to work with
the regular
>kernel, is all that needs to be done is boot from the smp
kernel? Will
>booting from that kernel work? Is there anything else that
needs to be
>done
>to get hyperthreading enabled in Linux besides booting
from the smp kernel?

>4.(2 questions)
>I already installed the
kernel-2.4.22.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm, so if you
>install 2.6 kernel the same way, it shouldn't be a
problem. Would I need
>use the smp kernel? Would I need to configure it to enable
hyper threading?