Wow, if this isn't excellent help, I don't know what
is. Thank you for taking the time.

The difference between the two packages is apparent
immediately after I unpack them. The kernel-source
package installs the built source directly under
/usr/src/linux. After installing it, I was able to
configure VMware without any further problems.

-GS

--- Sharrea Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Yep, this is the package you're after
> (kernel-source....).  Install this one
> if you do not intend to first update your system.
>
> > I have also been trying to get the Software Media
> > Manager to recognize a local folder under root
> where I
> > have been downloading the rpm files so that the
> > packages show up in RpmDrake but without success.
> Does
> > RpmDrake offer something better when compared to
> > simply running the rpm packages standalone?
>
> You can add sources using urpmi.addmedia at the
> command line.  Open a
> terminal, su to root and type (ignore the "#", it
> merely denotes the root
> console prompt):

> with <relative path of
> synthesis/hdlist> ]
>
> ***EXAMPLE 1***
> I have downloaded rpms which are stored in
> /shared/downloads/9_2/general.
> There is no synthesis or hdlist for this directory
> of rpms:
>
> #  urpmi.addmedia general
> file://shared/downloads/9_2/general/
>
> Rpmdrake will now list these under the "general"
> source repository.
>
> If you prefer to use the gui Software Media Manager:
> Click "Add".
> Select Type of Medium: "Local files"
> Enter a name in Name:  eg. "general"
> Click "Browse". Navigate to the directory containing
> your downloaded rpms.
> Click "OK".
>
> Rpmdrake will now list these under the "general"
> source repository.
>                    ======================
>
> ***EXAMPLE 2***
> I have downloaded all the security/bug fixes and the
> relative hdlist which
> are stored in /shared/downloads/9_2/updates
> (hdlist.cz in same directory):
>
> #  urpmi.addmedia --update updates
> file://shared/downloads/9_2/updates/ with
> ./hdlist.cz
>
> The --update option tells urpmi and rpmdrake to
> treat this source as the
> "update" source.  Rpmdrake will now list these under
> the "updates" source
> repository.
>
> Rpmdrake will now list these under the "updates"
> source repository.
>
> If you prefer to use the gui Software Media Manager:
> Click "Add".
> Select Type of Medium: "Security updates"
> The name "update_source" is automatically entered in
> the Name field.
> Type in path to the directory containing the
> downloaded update rpms:
> file://shared/downloads/9_2/updates
> Tick the checkbox next to "Relative path to
> synthesis/hdlist:" and enter the
> RELATIVE path to hdlist (in my case, same
> directory):
> ./hdlist.cz
> Click OK
>
> Rpmdrake will now list these under the
> "update_source" source repository.
>                    ======================
>
> ***EXAMPLE 3***
> To use an ftp updates mirror (make sure you are

ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/

> with ../base/hdlist.cz
>
> Wait while the list is downloaded.
>
> Rpmdrake will now list these under the "updates"
> source repository.
>
> If you prefer to use the gui Software Media Manager:
> Click "Add".
> Select Type of Medium: "Security updates"
> The name "update_source" is automatically entered in
> the Name field.
> Click "Choose a mirror", click "Yes" and select a
> mirror from the list.
> Click "OK" and wait while the list is downloaded.
>
> Rpmdrake will now list these under the
> "update_source" source repository.
>                    ======================
>
> There is a website that makes it very easy to find
> the various sources
> (updates, contrib, plf, etc) and the relative
> commands for urpmi.  Check
> out http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php
>
> > Sorry for the newbie questions...Linux is
> obviously
> > not my main OS but I do need to use it for some
> > academic development pusposes (that's why right
> now, I
> > don't really need all the security updates, I just
> > want that silly VMware to work).
> >
> > Thank you for your time!
>
> No problemo!  We all have to start somewhere.  I've
> been using Linux for
> 2-1/2 years now and I'm still learning... gotta love
> it!
>
> Sharrea
> >
> > --- Sharrea Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> recompiling
> > >
> > > the kernel from the

> > > source, is there a way to

> it
> > >
> > > as a parameter to the

> > > files to reflect my exact

> included)?
> > >
> > > The kernel-source rpm is not included on the
> disks
> > > for 9.2.  If you're using
> > > one of the kernels on the 9.2 disks (ie.
> 2.4.22.10)
> > > you can get the
> > > kernel-source rpm from any MDK 9.2 tree mirror -
> > > here's one:

ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/R