On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:00 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2004 08:52, boulanger wrote:
> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=868395&gro
> >up_id=49784&atid=457447 Should I put this (dosemu-stable) on the
> > twiki?
> You may like to put a short entry on the SoftwareIssues page, under a
> heading DOS Emulator, stating the above, and with a disclaimer that
> at the moment you cannot say how well it works with Mandrake 9.x.
> Then you can add to the entry when you have more info.
Sorry, that makes three questions :).
Maybe we should wait for some more feedback first before posting anything (I
hope I'm not erring too much on the side of caution).

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:27 am, Aaron wrote:
> H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> >Isn't this the same as dosbox which is in "contribs"?
>
> No dosbox is geared mainly for games. dosemu still needs dos to run it
> usually comes with freedos.
> Aaron
I think I've come across DOSBox before ... though it's probably an older
version.

IIRC, it truly emulates DOS, which means you can pretty much run it anywhere
- there's even windoze binaries, but it means it's quite slower than
dosemu-stable. From their October 15th news article at
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
"the current cpu emulation speed probably won't let you run them at decent
speeds"

On the positive side, it's great for Adlib! Dark Ages works, albeitly a bit
slower, and I've heard that MIDI might be just a tad easier to configure
(that might help my Warcraft II).

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 03:37 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> Q1:  I've had experience with dosemu, but not the latest version.  I
> followed your link and downloaded it because I am very interested in
> this.  With this version, I hope they have included all the other
> patches that have made dosemu useful for some time, but for some reason
> have continued to make the users download and install themselves instead
> of integrating them into the main tree.  This has been a source of
> frustration.
I agree :). Hopefully this being "hot off the presses" means that all of the
useful patches of 2003 have been included.

> But anyway, I digress; if you do have a club membership, you can browse
> the Club rpm base and check contribs for the dosemu version.  I would do
> it myself, but Christmas has made me a little late for renewing my
> membership.  :(
I'm not currently a club member ... atm I'm getting my feet wet in Linux,
and so I'm trying to find emulators/replacements so I can get rid of Windows
:).

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:11 am, deedee wrote:
> I have some pages up about dosemu, including some screenshots, since I use
> it with WordStar at
I don't have a copy of WordStar (and I'm not sure it's legal to d/l one),
could you please keep us posted on whether it runs on dosemu-stable?

Thanks for all your help!

boulanger