On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 01:07:01 -0500

        Ronald J. Hall pulled out a pad and began to scribble.....:

   > On Thursday 01 January 2004 11:19 pm, David wrote:
   > ->
   > -> Yeah, that was the first thing I did was install Mandrake on it.  I'm
only
   >  keeping the xp on it to run visual studio for a course I got next semester
   >  and for watching DVDs at the moment. ->
   >
   > but you can watch DVDs under Linux just fine... :-)
   >
   > --
   >
   >                                                                        /\
   >                                                                  Dark<
>Lord
   >                                                                        \/

Well, maybe you can.  But I'm having considerable troubles doing so.

I think I have installed and tried every app that even mentions being able to play
and/or rip DVDs, including all contribs/plf/textar.

Here are some of the symptoms I have re-created while typing this email:

VLC - recognizes the disk and begins to play the movie, and then either crashes with a
seg fault and must be killed from a terminal.  Or it just freezes my system (mouse and
keyboard) and I must hard reboot.

XINE - begins to open and then closes before completing.  This is a separate issue,
but if anyone has any ideas as to the cause, I'd like to hear 'em.

TOTEM - crashes with a seg fault.

OGLE - I click on File > Open Disk, and the app closes.

LUMINIERE - "Unable to open DVD://1" or 2 or 3 etc...

I am getting a LOT of crashes from seg faults.  A lot of apps in my menu, that I know
I have installed with all deps, will either do nothing when I try to open them, or
will flash open then close real quick.  What could be going on with this?

I'm running mdk 9.1 on a stock HP Pavillion ze4300 laptop.  AMD xp-m, 512m ram, and a
toshiba CD-RW/DVD-Rom.  And yes, I did set the settings for the DVD device to
/dev/scd0.

TIA
David Steiner
www.DavidLSteiner.com