On Monday 05 January 2004 08:14 pm, al wrote:

> But I just had to disconnect to use my phone, and when I reconnected wget
> did nothing.

I suspect, based on my own experience with a dodgy DSL router (until I figured
out what the problem was) that wget is pretty network aware.  If you
disconnect and then redial the connection, you are getting a new IP address
and wget does not make the connection between the old file request and the
new IP address.  So, it basically just sits there waiting for the old
connection to start back up.  If you got the exact same IP address, wget
might resume the transfer.  I say might because it is possible that the
server you are pulling from will time out the connection and then I don't
think that wget can restart it without making a brand new request.

> So I stopped it by using ctrl-c and started again...wget url
>
> and instead of resuming, it started again from the beginning.

If you Ctrl-c, you may be interrupting the shell command but wget itself is
probably happily running along in the background waiting for the transfer to
start backup.  You should try to issue a killall wget to make sure that all
active connections are killed before you try to restart the transfer.  I
usually run wget from a shell script with all my command options included by
default, so that may just be me.

Then, run wget with a -c (for continue) on the command line and it will resume
partial downloads instead of restarting them.

By default, it does not overwrite files but will resume if you tell it you
want it to.  Note, if you have a lot of sudden stops and starts, it is
possible for things to get corrupted and for the resume to either not work or
actually corrupt the file, only happened to me once when I was doing a lot of
background maintenance including messing with the internet connection but it
did happen.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer