Hi all,

I've recently decided to take the plunge and use 9.2
as my base OS.  I'm performing a clean install on a
brand new hard drive.  My old mdk 9.1 install still
resides on two old hard disks.  My question is this:

Is there a simple way to restore my data from 9.1?
The main apps that need to be restored are GAIM,
Evolution, and Kmail.  While I do need the info back
from them, I DO NOT want to over write system files
since 9.2 has newer packages installed.  I've heard
some people just copy the old folder back (so I'd copy
my old Tango directory to over write my current Tango
directory).  That would over write the sys files IMO.
I know Mandrake has a backup/restore utility too, but
I'm not sure if that applies here.

Lastly, if no solution is available, why not?  It
would seem simple enough to me.  Just make a program
or bash script that copies all the data files (not
system files) to another hard drive or cd, then run it
again to restore them.  I'm sure many of you must go
thru this at the rate we upgrade.  This is the biggest
pain of the upgrade procedure IMO.  Tweaking my eye
candy in the new version, etc is no big deal, it's
trying to remember what files go where
w/backup/restore, etc.....

Any ideas here?