On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 08:12, Paul wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I got my new printer in. Epson C44 USB. Hooked it up, and I can see in
> the logs that it is recognised as a USB bidirectional device:
>
> Jan  7 16:44:16 nwyfre kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4b8/0x5)
> is not
> claimed by any active driver.
> Jan  7 16:44:19 nwyfre /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup printer for USB
> product 4b8/5/100
> Jan  7 16:44:20 nwyfre kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usblp
> Jan  7 16:44:20 nwyfre kernel: printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional
> printer dev
> 2 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0005
>
> I am not sure what I should do about "is not claimed by any active
> driver". Is that caught by 'registered new driver usblp'?
>
> I ran the Turboprint setup program, finished that up and waited for the
> testpage. Which did not come.
> So I fired up webmin and found the printer defined but not working. The
> setup says it is a local file "usb:/dev/usblp0".
> In /dev/ I can't find usblp0 but I do see usb/lp0. Trying to change the
> output to there in Webmin gives me:
>

>       Failed to save printer : 'usb:/dev/usb/lp0' does not exist
>
> But...
>

>       Failed to save printer : 'usb:/dev/usblp0' does not exist
>
> also happens. I tried setting it to a local printer 'USB printer 1' and
> that also hits me on the head, with:
>

>       Failed to save printer : lpadmin failed :
>
> lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible
>
> I am getting a bit lost now. What do I do wrong, or what do I miss, or
> what do I have to add so the printer does what it is supposed to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Hi Paul,
Not to say "I told you so..." but:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg147507.html
Sometimes it's prudent to buy slightly behind cutting edge to assure
that you can get your work done - unless of course your work is to see
if you can get new hardware to work with the system - and in that case,
you may want to subscribe to cooker ;)

Now to your problem; I'm currently testing cooker on a separate hdd and
it does seem to have support now for the c64 - you might try it if you
can't return your c44 to the store which you bought it - no guarantees.

Mike