Greg Meyer wrote:

On Thursday 08 January 2004 07:39 pm, Peter Simko wrote:

I'm running the old Mandrake 8.2 distro on a Linux-WinXP dual boot
machine. My hda drive consists of three partitions, all vfat and used
for the XP side of the box. Recently (after making some hardware
configuration changes) the Linux side has been unable to mount the hda
drive. At first, it wasn't even listed in the /dev directory, so I
manually created the block device nodes in
/dev/ide0/host0/target0/bus0/lun0 using "mknod hda b 3 0" for the disk
and "mknod hda1 b 3 1", etc for the three partitions. I then linked the
devices back up to /dev. My problem now is that I can't mount the
devices and keep getting "mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device".
Looking through dmesg I also get a lot of "hda: driver not present"
warnings during boot, even though the BIOS is definitely seeing the
drive. Anyone know how I can make my hda drive mountable again?

Sounds to me like you have a loose or faulty IDE cable. I had this happen once where the cable was just loose enough to cause all kinds of disk errors, but enough of the pins were connected to ID the drive to the BIOS.

Oops, should have mentioned that the XP side of the box works fine, and XP is located on hda.