Anne Wilson wrote:

On Saturday 10 January 2004 07:31, E. Hines wrote:

On Friday 09 January 2004 07:30 pm, Peter Simko wrote:

Nope, hda doesn't show up there either, just the hdb device. This
is really annoying the hell out of me. I used to run both HDDs
from an ATA controller card, but I got rid of that and put both
drives on IDE 0 to simplify my system. That changed hdf to hdb
without a problem (with appropriate changes to fstab), but
somehow hde just went 'poof' and disappeared instead of showing
up again as hda.

A few things I can think of:

hda should be jumpered for "Master" and it should be (if I recall
correctly, someone will correct me if I'm wrong) on the end of the
IDE cable. The slave drive should be attached to the center cable
connector. Does your bios show both drives being detected and
identified correctly? (assuming you don't have a crippled bios like
a Gateway or some such). Do you get a message at the first boot
screen (right after memory test) that shows the Master and Slave
drive being identified?
Have you tried moving hdb to ide1, and having hda alone on ide0? Tried booting with only hda plugged in? Lots of stuff you can do
to determine what the problem is, but it acts like:

1.  hda has no power plugged into it
2.  hda is jumpered wrong, or in the wrong position on the cable
3.  the IDE cable is bad, not plugged in, or plugged in wrong--red
marker not to pin 1 (not impossible to do with some cable/drive
combos) 4.  the hd has gone bad

Above all, I would say make sure that neither drive is jumpered for Cable Select. It causes far more problems than it solves.

Anne

The hda is working fine. It's the master on a dual-boot system and has the XP OS and most of my data on it. It shows up in BIOS during boot just fine. The hardware also seems to be detected in dmesg, but no drivers are available. And I just double checked the jumper and it's set to 'master', not cable select.