Advice from a newbie - treat with caution ;-)

If you don't have /etc/resolv.conf you can create it by firing up your
favourite text editor (emacs, vi, kwrite) and simply saving an empty file as
/etc/resolve.conf.  Of course since you need to edit the file with the
appropriate information you may as well do that at the same time.
resolve.conf I think follows the format (see if there's a man page for
resolve.conf it will have the exact format)

nameserver (eg ozemail.com.au)
DNS IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
DNS2 IP address (if there is two nameservers)

If you use kppp then it will take care of editing /etc/resolve.conf for you.
I think if you use kppp resolve.conf needs to be writeable by those users
that will have ppp access.  chmod 666 should do it

Read the ppp how-to's if what I said doesn't work, or check the archives -
DNS problems come up very regularly on the list.   I think the Kppp help
files also have useful information.

Aaron