On Sunday 11 January 2004 08:21 pm, Peter Simko wrote:
> Right. That's because there are no Linux partitions on hda. There
> probably never will be, but I still want to be able to mount that drive
> from Linux in order to access the data that resides there. I also need
> to recognize it in order to run LILO so I can start playing around with
> my own kernels.

Sorry, I was under the impression you were trying to mount a linux partition
that existed on hda.  Please accept my apologies.

fstab shows what can be (and is, in most cases) mounted.  /etc/mtab shows what
is mounted.  Could be a permissions problem, or could be a problem with 8.2.
You've attempted to mount the windows partition from the command line, both
as user and as root and have failed with an error to the effect that the
partition doesn't exist?  Is lilo your boot manager?  Does dmesg give any
errors during bootup?

Could you boot with Knoppix or pclinux OS and see if the windows partition is
recognized?

If you are getting tired of this, it might be a good time to upgrade (8.2 came
with quite a few problems, IIRC.  I didn't have any, but many users did.