On 1/13/2004 at 12:17 PM Jamie Kerwick wrote:

>HELP!!!
>
>I have our Intranet server hosted on Mandrake 9.0. Until
yesterday it
>had been working flawlessly for nearly 200 days.
>
>Yesterday afternoon after lots of 'Disk Thrashing' the
problems began.

>Web page requests (via apache) were served very slowly,
(I'm talking 5
>minutes to serve a page that would typically take less
than a second.
>Telnet & ftp connections took similarly extended times to
be made, even
>the X-Windows system doesn't respond. Curiously though
pings are
>answered immediately!
>
>I rebooted the machine (in the end I had to just switch
off at the
>mains!) and on reboot it began working fine again.
>
>10 minutes ago the same thing has happened again.
>
>What I would like to know is where to start to try and
find what the
>problem is and how to rectify it.
>
>I did notice earlier that there was a httpd process using
253MB of
>memory which seems rather excessive - is there any way to
trace what
>this process is doing ?
>
>Thanks for any advice.
>
>Jamie

Jamie; Try running "top" in a console on the server. I
can't see apache using 253Mb's of ram for an Intranet site.
There may be something else going on. If everything slows
down again, top can show you what's chewing up the
resources, and then we can go looking for the actual
problem. I've had 9.0 running on a server here almost since
9.0 came out, and it's been flawless. Unless you've done a
lot of kernel patching, or the server's been hacked, I
would think that the problem would either be a runaway
process from something new you recently installed , or from
bad hardware.

If you see the slow-down happening again, check top ( which
should be running already ) to find the process ID.

Lanman