I guess I broke it but good.
while trying to find a mount point that works I think I wiped out the formatting on my primary hard drive. It had two partitions but only the partition with Mandrake was formatted for Linux and had a mount point. The other partition was DOS formatted.
Here is what I had for the two partitions;

/ Mandrake backup
Mount Point: /Mandrake backup
Device: hdc5
Type: Journalised FS: ext
Size 51GB (44%)
Formatted
Mounted

/Win2000 backup
Mount point /Win2000 backup
Device: hdc6
Dos drive letter; ( C just a guess)
Type Fat 32
size 51 GB (44%)
Formatted
Mounted
Although it stated the partitions were mounted I never could find them If I tired the icons on the desktop for my floppy drive and CD disappeared.

When I try to reboot I now get the following message:
UFS; Can't find ext3 file system on dev ide 0 (3,6)
Mount: error 22 mounting ext 3 flags.
Kernel panic:
No init found.
Try passing init = option to Kernel

Question do I need to reinstall the whole thing?
If I do reinstall should I try to install the secondary HD at that time or should I wait until all of the updates are installed. (I'm using 9.1? The reason I ask is my phone connection is terribly slow and requires about three to four nights to install the updates.
Owen