On Tuesday 13 January 2004 11:49 am, Owen Berio wrote:
>   I guess I broke it but good.
> while trying to find a mount point that works I think I wiped out the
> formatting on my  primary hard drive.  It had two partitions but only the
> partition with Mandrake was formatted for  Linux and  had a mount point.
> The other partition was DOS formatted.
>    Here is what I had for the two partitions;
>
> / Mandrake backup

> Mount Point: /Mandrake backup
> Device: hdc5

I don't like the looks of this at all.  You said this is your primary drive???
hdc would be the third harddisk on a multiple disk system.

> Type: Journalised FS: ext
> Size 51GB (44%)
> Formatted
> Mounted
>
> /Win2000 backup
> Mount point /Win2000 backup
> Device: hdc6

This does not look right either.  /dev/hdc6 places the /Win2000_backup on the
6th part sector of the 3rd drive.

> Dos drive letter; ( C just a guess)

How can it be C: if it isn't on the primary drive and it contains no operating
system?

> Type Fat 32
> size 51 GB (44%)
> Formatted
> Mounted
>   Although it stated the partitions were mounted I never could find
> them   If I tired the icons  on the desktop for my floppy drive and CD
> disappeared.

Did you backup your /etc/fstab before you edited it?

> When I try to reboot I now get the following message:
> UFS; Can't find ext3 file system on dev ide 0 (3,6)

Linux is looking for an ext3 system on the first ide connector (probably hda).

> Mount: error 22 mounting ext 3 flags.
> Kernel panic:
> No init found.
> Try passing init = option to Kernel
>
> Question do I need to reinstall the whole thing?

First, boot with the install disk, hit F1, and type "rescue" without the
quotes.  When you get to the part about mnt try to mount your system.  Watch
the screen for any errors for a clue as to what is wrong.  If mnt fails,
return to the pervious screen and do an lsparts to see what partitions your
system says it has.  Write them down.  You may be able to edit your way out
of the problem, but a working knowledge of vi will be very helpful.

You can also restore your Windows bootloader from rescue, so you should at
least be able to get your Windows back.

After identiying your partitions, a possible alternative is to reboot with the
install disk and try doing an upgrade.  Recreate your partitioning on your
primary drive, if necessary and as a last resort, but don't change anything
(just choose the /, /home or whatever you have existing) and do not format
anything on that drive.  It should be o.k. to partition and format the backup
drive.

> If I do reinstall should I try to install the secondary HD at that time or
> should I wait until all of the updates are installed. (I'm using 9.1?  The
> reason I ask is my phone connection is terribly slow and requires about
> three to four nights to install the updates.

If it comes to that, I would encourage you to have your secondary HD in place
when you re-install, and format it the way you want it when you do.  As far
as updates to 9.1, why????  9.1 doesn't seem to have any problems (for most
people anyway) that require applying updates.  I'm on dial-up, and with 7
machines running 9.1, I haven't installed a single update.  My one 9.2
machine had to have the rpm fix, so it did require some messing about with.

Good luck, and chock it off as a real learning experience.