S Wieland wrote:

I think I did an uh-oh. I removed my rom drives (1 cdr, 1 dvd) from my mandrake 9.1, dell dimension 8100 to put into my new computer, and put an old cdrom from a OLD 233 pentium II into the dell/linux box. I didnt do any remove hardware thingy in linux nor was the box ON when i did it. At first it booted fine, maybe the first 2-3 boots and i never tried to test the cd-rom. After a few more days and 1 or 2 more boots i would get a cannot find secondary disk drive strike F1 to continue ( i have 2 hdd in the linux box). no problem to me because i havent gotten far enough to use the second disk ( i think :-/). To keep this long and boring story short I am now wanting to install mandrake 9.2 or Mandrake Move (any suggestions onto which one?) but my cd rom is not detected in the bios. I was thinking that it was a connection issue so i opened it up and all the proper cables are in the proper areas. This leading me to believe it may be a bad cable. Ive come up to two conclusions. 1. putting back the original roms and original cable or 2. maybe there is a floppy boot disk i can use that will enable a driver for the cdrom.
Any help or "hey everybody lets point and laugh at the kid withhis pants down" would be greatly aprreciated
thanks a billion
-boardrider

Welcome to Mandrake,
I don't think you have a driver problem.
The rom drive must be recognised in bios.
What is your IDE cable setup ?
Do you have two IDE cables, are Hardrives on one roms on the other ?
Do you have just the one IDE cable ?
I would suggest that you examine your replacement cdrom dive and make sure that you have them configured master and slave as appropiate, you cannot have two drives on the same cable both set up master or both set up slave. The bios will not like it.

So first off you have got to sort out bios recognition of your rom and hard drives.
"my cd rom is not detected in the bios" must be addressed first.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]