> > > That's really puzzling.  As far as I know, aRts is used by kde-related
> > > apps - which, I would have thought, means kscd - while xmms is, I
> > > believe, a gnome app.  Anyone care to comment?
> > >
> > > Anne
> > > --
> > > Registered Linux User No.293302
> > > Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?
> >
> > I am beginning to think that I may have to reinstall aRTs, or is there
some
> > way to get KDE to re-recognize that aRTs is installed?  Just not sure
how
> > to go about either at the moment.
> >
> > Doug Roberts
>
> I am coming awfully late into this thread, but has anyone suggested to
Doug

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php3?vendor=vendor-Yamaha#matrix

> To install the Alsa driver
>
> 1/ Install the alsa-utils, alsamixergui, and newt packages (If not already
> installed)

Did that..MCC and urpmi says that all those packages are installed..

> 2/ Make a backup copy of /etc/modules.conf
>
> 3/ In a root terminal run alsaconf
> Alsaconf will write a new modules.conf file with the correct settings for
your
> sound card.

Cannot do this....keeps saying that 'command not found' (yes I am in root
mode when doing all this)

> 4/ Copy back by hand those lines in the old modules.conf which are not
sound
> related.
>
> 5/ Reboot into the new sound driver, and in
KDEControlCentre>Sound>SoundSystem
> set the sound server to Alsa

In Sound I/O tab > Sound I/O method Alsa is selected.

> 6/ Use alsamixergui to select default sound levels and save them.

error: alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

> 7/ In xmms it may work better if you select the Output Plugin to be alsa.
Did that..Xmms still don't like my CD...looks at a music CD and refuses to
read it.

----