> > Copied from my /etc/modules.conf
> > probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
> > alias sound-slot-0 sb
> > options sound dmabuf=1
> > alias synth0 opl3
> > options opl3 io=0x388
> > options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0
> >  >
> >  > Are there any soundcard-like listings when you issue 'lspci' (as
root)

> >  None
> >
> >  > Is there a sound entry in 'cat /proc/devices'
> > # cat /proc/devices
> >  14 sound
> >
> >  > Do you have a /dev/sound directory ?
> >
> > Yes
> >
> >  > Did you install the updates for 9.1? There are loads of them
> >
> > I used both Mandrake Control Center and urpmi to update this machine
each
> > week, or when MDK issues an update email.
> >
> >  >
> >  > Many questions, but since you get sound from CD's, I still think
> >  > your mixer has muted pcm.
> >
> > Could be...so where does one fined and fix the ' muted pcm' problem, if
> > that is the problem?
>
> Well, all your tests above suggets that you DO have a soundcard :)
> No output from lspci indicates, to me, that you have an ISA-cards, or at
> least not a pci-card.
>
> I think you can bypass KDE and mixer-setting by using 'play' if its
> installed.Try 'play --device=/dev/sound/dsp
a_sound_file_in_wav_format.wav'

> If you get a 'device busy' message, wait a minute and try again
>
> Now, if you _do_ get sound then, your physical setting are ok.
> (which they are since you could play cd's)
>
> Then check KMix again. Right-click the icon in the taskbar, show mixer and
> check the 3rd item from left, wich should be pcm. There's a tooltip
> at the little icon above each slider.
>
> Volume up, and not muted.
>
> If it doesn't work, then I have to leave it to some expert, since I'm out
of
> ideas
>
> good luck
> /Björn

Thanks for your help Bjorn.. I really do appreciate it. But nothing seems to
work at the moment.

 I did the 'play --device=/dev/sound/dsp a_sound_file_in_wav_format.wav'
command as you suggested and the .wav file played nicely. I checked the KMix
settings and Pcm is at the same level as my CD and general Volume settings.
I open XMMS and try to play a .wav fils...it looks to be runing yet no sound
issues from the speakers. I open Kaboodle to try another sound program and
the same happens....the .wav files looks to be playing, yet no sound issues
from speakers.
This is maddening...

Any other ideas? Anyone?

Doug Roberts