On Friday 16 January 2004 17:21, P J Scott wrote:

> > Thanks for this, I have tried booting with linux nobiospnp, it
> > all went
>
> well untill part way through. Then the dredded mesage hda lost
> interupt...aaarrrrgggggg

I tried googling for 'lost interrupt' and was amazed how many threads
popped up.  A lot of them are concerned with laptops and suspend
issues, so I presume they can be ruled out.

IIRC you have tried 'linux noapic' when booting - if you haven't
already done so, try linux noacpi.  No, it's not the same, and at
least one poster believes that to be the solution.

Other solutions offered include

Disabling dma - is this possible at bootup?
Possibility of case cooling problem
Possibility of dubious ribbon cable
http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2003/Dec/6027.html reports that
a firware fix sorted one problem out.

Do any of these seem to fit Philip's case, I wonder?  Clearly this is
an issue that is reported in many distros, many versions.  My gut
feeling is that the last one may be relevant, as it's fairly recent,
with new hardware and the 2.6 kernel.  Perhaps someone more
knowledgeable could look at the thread and comment?

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302