On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 10:19, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 01:18, Cameron King wrote:
> > There is also a link to
> > what looks like Epson reference drivers (sample client & server?)
> > but I don't really know where to go with that- are they easily
> > installed to enable printing in various mdk applications?
> >
> If my previous experience of installing an Epson-supplied driver is
> anything to go by, it will be well documented and simple to do.

You're exactly the sort of person I was looking for! Someone with
experience of doing something similar!

The driver is provided binary-only. I'm fairly happy with trusting epson
so I have run the install script. All that it does is to copy 'epijs' to
my '/usr/bin'. I don't really have a good enough understanding of the
printing mechanisms of linux to proceed from here. How would I configure
for instance openoffice to use this binary to print? Do I have to edit
CUPS configuration files? Or lpr or lpd? I've looked for information on
the IJS protocol but could only find http://www.linuxprinting.org/ijs/
which is extremely light on background & documentation! I have no
problem editing configuration files if you can point me in the right
direction.

On my original question, if anyone does have any experience upgrading
the actual open-source inbuilt printing mechanisms of mandrake then I
would be very interested to hear about it...

Thanks,
Cameron.