On Sunday 18 January 2004 12:29 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Saturday 17 January 2004 07:31 pm, marc resnick wrote:
> > I found my kernel version, and used the patch that went with
> > it. As I continued with the install, it kept saying that the
> > patch had been previously installed. I overwrote, because acpi
> > still didn't work on my computer. I continued to get failures
> > also. When I finally finished, I had no /proc/acpi folder. Does
> > anyone know what I should do?
>
>     ACPI is enabled by default in the kernel. You never needed a
> patch. Check your lilo.conf line and remove anything like
> 'acpi=off' or acpi=ht' from the kernel's append= line. Reboot. If
> that didn't do it, you can try adding 'acpi=force' to the append
> line as a last resort. BUT don't add it to lilo.conf just yet. At
> the lilo splash screen, press <Esc> and type 'linux acpi=force'
> (you may have to use one of the displayed kernel versions rather
> than 'linux' if you've updated kernels)
>
> acpi=  [HW,ACPI] Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
>          force   Force ACPI on, even if blacklisted platform
>          off     Disable ACPI
>          ht      Limit ACPI to boot-time LAPIC enumeration for HT,
>                         disabling the run-time AML interpreter.
>
>    Are you sure your hardware is ACPI capable?  "It works in
> Windoze" doesn't count.  If you get ACPI enabled,
> check /var/log/dmesg to see how succesfully it was implemented.
> I have ACPI enabled. If you want I can send you my dmesg file
> offlist as an example.

Tom,
I've tried enabling ACPI before, but Linux doesn't boot. Even when I force it,
I only get a blank screen. I also think my hardware supports it, but I'm not
sure. I'm not certain if I updated my kernel. I did download some packages
once, which added some options to Lilo for booting, but I deleted them from
the boot menu. =/. What do you suggest I do?
-Marc