From: "Greg Meyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Standard Installation

On Monday 26 January 2004 12:03 pm, André Tapxure Gabriel wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I was trying to install Netscape 7.1 and when the installation program
> asked in what directory the software should be installed, it automatically
> sugested to install in /usr/local/netscape and I answered YES!!!!!. The
> system informed that I have no permission to create this directory... In
> this minute, some questions poped-up in my mind...
>
> 1 - What is the standard directory that I have to install the softwares?
The installer gave you the correct directory for stuff that does not come
with
the distro.

> Like "c:\Program Files" in the winsux? 2 - I have to give root powers to
my
> user to install this programs or log as root and install them?

Log in as root, install and then the program should be available to all
users.
BTW, Windows NT/2000/XP requires this too, but it hides this fact by putting
all users in an administrators group to allow anybody to install software.
You can make it so that you have to log in as administrator to install
software though

--
/g

----