On Thursday 29 January 2004 14:47, Web Site Response Address wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to ask the newbie group a question, apologies if this
> isn't the right route to do so.

I can think of no better route.

> I have a new (literally - no important data on it) computer
> pre-loaded with Mandrake 9.1 which comes with the discs. I also
> have Windows XP Home discs which I want to install as a dual boot
> (backwards compatibility reasons).

Congratulations ! - Finally a manufacturer selling PC's preloaded
with a real operating system.  May I ask : which brand ?

> Please could the Newbies advise on my best route to do so? At
> present I would have thought I was best to load up the Microsoft
> product (wiping the Linux) and then loading up the Mandrake again
> - but I've never done this before and I am somewhat unconfident.
> Some advice/re-assurance would be appreciated.

If your PC came preloaded with Mandrake 9.2 and you have the disks
to reinstall, you can safely do just that. However, before you wipe
Mandrake, take a little time with pencil and paper, go into your
various settings in "Configuration --> Configure Your Computer",
especially the hardware and network settings. Write some important
notes, just in case. I know next to nothing about WindowsXP, but I
suspect that it will occupy your entire harddisk without asking.
Therefore I advice an additional, intermediate step :

Wipe your harddisk with your Mandrake install CD first (in the
"partitioning" step, choose : "erase entire disk". Then, create two
FAT32 partitions for Windows , one for C:\ and one for D:\ . (at
least 5 and 1 GB respectively). Leave at least 10 GB for Mandrake,
and divide that into 3 ReiserFS partitions, 5 GB for /, 500 MB for
SWAP and the rest for /home.).

Of course, if you have a lot of GB, multiply accordingly. When the
partitioning schema has been written to disk, abort the install.

Now, install Windows. It will only "see" your FAT32 partitions and
reason that's all you have.

Now, start over again with a Mandrake installation. Choose "use
existing partitions" when prompted. Mandrake will proceed until it
asks you to install a bootloader. Say yes, and choose Lilo. Finish
the procedure and reboot. Now, you can choose whatever you want to
use, with the added benefit of being able to share files between
the two systems.

> I hope you folk won't mind helping out.

No we won't. We enjoy it and bid you welcome in our community.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
** Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer **