On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 07:40, Steve Kaufman wrote:
> I am a very newbie to Linux and this whole different world. I installed 9.2
> a week or so ago and finally figured out how to get all the updates. I'm
> using the GUI by the way. The process was successful and now if I check
> there are no more updates so I think things went OK.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) How do I check to see what fixes have been installed?
>
> 2) When updates are installed is there another step necessary to build a new
> Kernel or does that happen automagically or do I not understand the process?
> (which is quite likely)
>
> The reason for this second question is I have a concern,that was also
> mentioned in another post, about booting from a kew kernel and not being
> able to fall back to the working one should something happen.

mandrake will just add the kernel to the list if you download and
install it via urpmi... do a google for easy urpmi and update the urpmi
sources..
then type urpmi kernel
it should bring up a newer kernel for you to install.
then do the same thing typing urpmi kernel-source
then when all done you can reboot and the new kernel will boot ... there
is a list at lilo boot .. your old kernel will be at the bottom of the
lit and probably say 2210 or something likethat .. an updated kernel is
2.4.22.21 i think so look for something arround that number.

--
jason pearl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>