Hi all,

Since about a week (since the last massive outbreak of virusses?) I sometimes experience a very strange system slowness in responding. Not constantly, but sometimes with switching desktops it can take upto 10 seconds before the windows are redrawn. Programs start up very slowly then, even the reponse to my typing is lagging in a very unusual way.
I have not added hardware, software or intense cron entries lately.

This machine is a six month old 1.2Ghz P4 with 512Mb ram running MDK9.1 and IceWm.

This sluggishness has never happened before. I have a firewall running (IPTables, rules set up with the EasyTables script).

Does anyone else experience this at times? After a reboot things are fine for a few days, but I don't want to keep rebooting the box every couple of days. Ideas or tips are welcome.

Paul

--
Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?

http://www.nlpagan.net - Linux Mandrake - Thunderbird 0.5a/20031217