On 01/31/2004 11:59 AM, Charlie wrote:

Run top and see if there is something running in the background.

Tried that and found nothing strange there.

I did find something though. I run a program called mailfilter just before I pull e-mail. That checks the headers of all the mails on the server and deletes stuff, guided by a set of regexps. Now I set things up to leave mail on the server for 1 day, so I can access things through Webmail also when I am somewhere else.
With the big load of viral mail that goes around, mailfilter uses a lof of CPU to scan all those mails (every 3 minutes). In a test I deactivated mailfilter, and the weird slug-effect went away...
Seems that I need to update the regexps, so it throws out all 'hi' and 'error' subjects and all that other cap that comes by.

I also set up portsentry again, just to make sure things are safe on that end also.

Thanks for the idea!
Paul

--
Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?

http://www.nlpagan.net - Linux Mandrake - Thunderbird 0.5a/20031217