On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 10:23, Lanman wrote:
> On 2/4/2004 at 7:21 AM aronsmith wrote:
>

> >any reason to?.. not to?

> Aron; Using two firewalls usually causes problems with file
> sharing, etc., so I wouldn't bother with 2 firewalls if I
> were you. If you put up a firewall box in front of the
> server, remember to shut down the firewall ( Shorewall )
> that's running on the server. As far as services that you
> can shut down are concerned, you'll need to send me a list
> of the services that are running on it now, and the
> services that you need.
>
> By the way, is this box being used as a server or
> workstation ? That answer can go a long way to helping us
> decide what to leave running and what to shut down.
>
> Lanman
The old box will just be used as a firewall the workstation will be a
seperate box
i had an old 500mhz compaq that I had stripped the am and drives out of
so I bought 3 Nics at the surplus shop All 3Coms I have downloadd IPcop
and with 128Mg Ram (probably overkill) should make a nice firewall Also
want to be able to put my laptop on line also (old Dell 500 win XP )
> Thinking kinda like this
                                DSL

                                oldbox(firewall)

                                 hub                              |
                (Workstation)   laptop  spare (slimserver?
Do you think that would do it?
thanks smitty