----- Original Message -----
From: "David E. Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 23:00
Subject: Re: [newbie] Re: Ready for update?

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:27:32 -0600
> "Hoyt Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Someone else suggested that maybe I was looking for kpackage.  Sounds
> > right but it's not in KDE and neither is mandrake update but it is in
> > gnome.  So I
>
> You're probably right on that one. I have not used it very much, and
> find that it's not here on my Mandrake system (cooker, not yet beta
> though). It's a KDE app, and used to be in kdeadmin, but the KDE rpms in
> particular have been "fractionalized" in the last few months, with much
> of the functionality broken up into little pieces. What was at one time
> a monolithic package (kdeadmin, for instance) now has a slew of
> components, and this likely explains why you couldn't find it and it
> isn't installed by default over here.
>
> Using "urpmf kpackage" seems to tell me you (and I) should look for a
> package called 'kdeadmin-kpackage'. There seem to be remnants of it
> here, but kpackage itself is not found.

That is a pity I understood that package.  It is still being used in other
dist but I dont feel able to go through the hassel of importing it.

> Strictly speaking, Mandrake Update isn't "part of" gnome. It may look
> like a gnome app but it can be used irrespective of the window manager.

But when it fails?  Then just switch to "urpmi -auto-select" (as you
suggested and you find out that its better anyway). During the update
Mandrake Update dissappeared,  it returned when I updated menus, and when I
switched to urpmi things improved( were you aware that it works differently
in gnome & KDE.  The KDE version is closer to Man. Up.).

> > and working on security.  Frankly mandrake update needs to be more
> > robust. It needs too much management.

Specifically urpmi needs alternate mirrors avilable so if one is busy just
switch to another,  if too slow try another.  There are enough mirrors to
support this activity.  Downloading the original 3 CD's I spent most of my
time in de,au,at,hg,fr and very little time in us.

> The few times I've used it in the past -- yes, to a point, but it's
> basically a GUI shell for the underlying update system that Mandrake
> uses -- i.e., urpmi. Many common errors with that (IMHO) are connection
> failures, mirrors out of sync, and not strictly a problem as such with
> the method that Mandrake uses.

Thanks for the help.  I did not chop this because newbie's should be aware
of some things that can and will happen to them.
Regards;
Hoyt