Hi,
   I am getting full root directory problem! I was not able to login to KDE
due to this, Fortunately i could login to xfce and i uninstalled some
applications to free space. through this way i gained about 700MG from my
7.8GB / directory which was %99.9 full! I managed to login to KDE.
  Shortly later (just less than half an hour!!!), i am again getting %99 full
/ directory and i am afraid this may very soon cause problems.
  So what should i do?
Strangely when i take properties of each subdirectory, and add the fulled
spaces, i get only half full root directory as follows:
Total space on / partition:  7.8GB
Free space:   only %1 ( according to using KDE storage devices or running df )

Taking properties of each subdirectory, i got:
/bin       5.6MB
/boot      8.4MB
/dev       208B
/etc       21.8MB
/home      4.3GB
/initrd    116B
/lib       61.2MB
/mnt       14.4GB
/opt       24.7MB
/proc      896MB
/root      46.9MB
/sbin      9.8MB
/tmp       932.4KB
/usr       2.2GB
/var       437.2MB

   Total without /home and /mnt which are essentially on separate paritions
than / : 3716MB or 3.8GB approximately!
   So what are filling the rest of the root directory?! And why are not they
showing in any subdirectory?!

   As you see /tmp is quite small and /usr/tmp is not that big either. However
out of choice i tried to pass the šempty /tmp at each bootš to the kernel at
boot time through hardrake boot configuration utility. But it seems not
working!? It does not hold the option as running the boot configuration again
shows that box is unchecked again by itself!
    Why does it not hold the box checked?!

Right now i am in Mandrake but i am afraid next time i may not be able to boot
up or login again.

Best regards,  Ramin

--

Linux user #310496