On Monday 09 Feb 2004 3:09 am, Ron Stodden wrote:
> Ramin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I am getting full root directory problem! I was not able to
> > login to KDE due to this, Fortunately i could login to xfce and i
> > uninstalled some applications to free space. through this way i
> > gained about 700MG from my 7.8GB / directory which was %99.9 full!
> > I managed to login to KDE. Shortly later (just less than half an
> > hour!!!), i am again getting %99 full / directory and i am afraid
> > this may very soon cause problems. So what should i do?
>
> I am quite familiar with this behaviour, and in fact diagnosed what
> is happening and fixed it here.   Unfortunately it was a while ago
> and I cannot recollect.
>
> BUT, you will certainly fix it if you use tar to copy out the entire
> partition data to another partition (retain this as a backup) with a
> third partition your active Linux.  Make a new file system in the
> was-errant partition.   Then copy the data back again.    You must
> use tar because it alone has the capability of dumping and correctly
> restoring the /dev directory.

So you're recommending he formats his root partition?
Let's say again, although you did mention it, that to do that he needs
to boot from another partition, or from a CD such as Knopix or Mandrake
Move. Otherwise it's either impossible or very messy. In fact the
entire process should be done from this other boot partition, because
otherwise tar might record an inconsistent image (File X is from time
a, but file Y is from time b. Where files X and Y are required to agree
with one another.)

--
Richard Urwin